Avalanche Consulting worked with the JAXUSA Partnership and the Northeast Florida Regional Council to create the Innovate Northeast Florida strategic plan in April 2012. The Competitive Analysis provided a detailed evaluation of the region’s competitive strengths and areas for improvement. This was followed by a Target Sub-Cluster Definition Report, which contained detailed profiles of each target cluster and sub-cluster. Next, an Education Infrastructure Assessment was crafted for all educational programs in the seven-country region along with a comparison of those programs with the talent needs of the target clusters. Avalanche partnered with site selection firm McCallum Sweeney Consulting and the Council for Adult and Experiential Learning (CAEL) to craft an implementation plan informed by a deep understanding of the region’s physical and human infrastructure. Avalanche also developed task assignments and performance metrics to ensure follow through on items vital to the region’s economic development efforts.
JAXUSA continues to use the reports to focus their marketing plan, measure performance, monitor progress reports, track growth in target industries, and measure overall economic health. We’re proud of JAXUSA and the results that followed the 2012 Innovate Northeast Florida Strategy. Their remarkable results are proof that a strong strategic vision, commitment to excellence, creative marketing, and an energized team pay off.
- In the first quarter of 2016, the Jacksonville region announced nearly 800 jobs and $70 million in capital investment in the region.
- In 2015, the Jacksonville region landed 18 new projects that resulted in over 2,500 new jobs and $527 million in capital investment.
- Over the past five years, JAXUSA has directly assisted 100 companies with projects that led to the creation of over 11,700 jobs and more than $1 billion in capital investment.
- Over the past three years, the unemployment rate dropped from 9.4 percent to 5.8 percent.
- The total number of people employed in the region has grown from 600,000 in 2010 to 700,000 today.
- In 2016, Amazon.com announced it would be opening an 800,000-square-foot fulfillment center in Jacksonville that will create more than 1,500 full-time jobs.
- In 2016, Ernst & Young announced it would be opening a new delivery center in Jacksonville that will create 450 jobs.
- In 2016, JAXUSA launched www.FindYourJAX.com, an online tool to aid regional companies in talent recruitment.
- In 2015, a new network access point – JAX NAP – was installed, making Jacksonville a main fiber connection point along the network of subsea and terrestrial cables.
- In 2015, the food processor and distributor Calavo Growers established operations at the Northeast Florida Industrial Center, creating 262 jobs and $8 million in capital investment.
- In 2015, global financial services company Macquarie Group expanded to Jacksonville, creating 123 new jobs.
- In 2014, JAXUSA worked with 28 projects that will bring more than 2,500 jobs to the region and more than $118 million in capital investment including GE Oil & Gas, Ideal Aluminum, Adecco Group North America, Sea Ray Boats, and Greencore Group.
- In 2014, Apex Technology announced it will be expanding its presence in Jacksonville and will construct a 15,000 sq. ft. corporate headquarters location. The company plans to create 60 new jobs over the next five years and invest $5.4 million in the local economy.
- In 2013 alone, more than 3,700 jobs and $467 million in capital investment were created. Company announcements included Vistakon Johnson & Johnson Vision Care, AVEO Engineering, R.J. Corman Signaling, Northrop Grumman, Embraer, and Deutsche Bank.
- In 2013 the JAXUSA Partnership invested in a new website, saw website traffic increase by 10,000 visitors, and earned 622,594 impressions through trade publications.
- In 2013, Forbes ranked Northeast Florida one of the fastest growing regions for high tech jobs.
- Jax Bridges, a supplier development program connecting small businesses to opportunities, was launched.
- Jacksonville was acknowledged by Forbes as one of the Cities ‘Winning the Battle for the Biggest Growth Sector in the US.’ During the past decade, professional, scientific, and technical services has risen by nearly 50%, the largest increase among the country’s 51 largest metropolitan areas.
- Jacksonville ranked 7th on Forbes list of US Cities Getting Smarter the Fastest. Over the past decade, the number of college graduates in the metropolitan area jumped nearly 50%.
- Jacksonville was named 3rd Happiest City in the US for College Graduates by Forbes Magazine, which cited employee job satisfaction, median pay, and the region’s low cost of living.
- In 2013, Jacksonville hosted the inaugural One Spark event, an international crowdfunding festival. In its second year, 610 creators participated, more than 260,000 people attended, and more than $3.25 million in capital investment was available.
- JAXUSA launched the grassroots #ilovejax social media campaign to build community pride, averaging 127 tweets per day and generating more than 30 million impressions in 2013.
- FDi Intelligence ranked Jacksonville in the top 10 for infrastructure and FDI Strategy.
- After one year of collaboration, Earn Up, an ambitious higher education collaborative organized by the JAXUSA Partnership, is making strides in achieving its goal of having 60% of adults with training certificates or college degrees by 2025. The region has awarded more than 10,000 new degrees and certificates over the past year.
Read the full Innovate Northeast Florida Accomplishments Report.
Avalanche Consulting provides a very fresh and creative approach to traditional strategic planning initiatives. The consulting team is dynamic and professional and generated a lot of interest and excitement throughout the Jacksonville region for our Innovate Northeast Florida project. Avalanche invested a great deal of time and energy developing a thorough understanding of Northeast Florida’s economy. The study recommendations leverage our region’s unique assets and opportunities. JAXUSA Partnership is actively implementing Avalanche’s plan and we expect to see big results for our region over the next five years.
-Cathy Chambers, Business Development & Marketing Vice President, JAXUSA Partnership