In May 2014, Avalanche Consulting developed Advance Longmont, a target industry and economic development strategy for Longmont, Colorado, a thriving community on the Front Range between Denver and Fort Collins.
The project included a Market Assessment, which examined Longmont’s current competitive position, assets, and opportunities. This phase included stakeholder input sessions and an in-depth analysis of relevant economic and demographic data.
Building on the research conducted in the Market Assessment, the Target Industry Analysis evaluated the performance of Longmont’s current industry and occupational base as related to national industry trends and site selection needs. The consulting team partnered with Site Selection Group to conduct an objective Reverse Site Selection assessment of Longmont. This process evaluated Longmont’s competitiveness and made recommendations on target adjustments and local product improvements.
The Implementation Plan for Longmont articulated Longmont’s vision for the future and a clear, step-by-step roadmap for achieving this vision. It concluded with a timeline, estimated budget, resource requirements, task assignments, and performance measurements.
- In addition to their three existing breweries (Left Hand, Oskar Blues, and Pumphouse), Longmont now has four new breweries established in the community: Longs Peak Pub & Taphouse, 300 Suns Brewing, and Grossen Bart Brewery.
- In June 2016, Longmont hosted its second annual Startup Week, a free event dedicated to entrepreneurs.
- In April 2015, Longmont began demolition of the vacant Butterball Turkey plant to make room for major downtown revitalization projects. It will be replaced by South Main Station, a mixed-use development. The community also plans to dedicate part of the site to a “hybrid co-working – maker space”.
- The Longmont Community Foundation and TinnkerMill founder, Scott Converse, created the Longmont Ignite! Fund in 2015 to assist entrepreneurs. In 2016, the Longmont Economic Development Partnership partnered with the City to create an Advance Longmont Ignite! Matching Grant.
- A new UCHealth Longs Peak Hospital will soon open in Longmont.
Avalanche Consulting was an invaluable partner in setting our community on a course for economic development success. Their ability to listen to all voices, think creatively, respond positively and help guide us in data-driven decision-making has made our strategic planning process one of the best consulting engagements I have ever experienced. Avalanche was not afraid to help us confront the brutal truth of our shortcomings, but moreover, help us better understand and exploit our strengths. I would highly recommend this outstanding firm.
– J. Shawn Lewis, Assistant City Manager, City of Longmont